Orthopedic Conditions Project
Topic: Total hip Arthroplasty
Content: The paper must at minimum address all of the topics/questions on the next page. Any information that is specific to your condition should also be included.
Sources: The paper should be based on the Fundamentals of Orthopedics textbook. The paper MUST contain a MINIMUM of 4 research articles related to the topic from a scholarly journal no older than 2014.
Format/Style: The paper and references (both books and journals) must be in APA style (See Writing Lab for assistance)
Intellectual property: All content in the paper must be your own thoughts. All information taken from textbooks, scholarly journals or other sources must be cited within the paper and cited in the references. Any plagiarism will result in an automatic “0” on the project.
Assigned Orthopedic Condition:
1. What population is this condition typically found in?
c. Prevalence & Incidence
2. How does the condition typically occur? What is the mechanism of injury? Specifically, what happens and what types of trauma or disease processes cause it?
3. What anatomical structures are involved?
4. What medical interventions (NOT PT) are required?
a. Surgery? Medicine? Imaging?
5. What precautions or contraindications must the PTA be aware of during the patient’s medical treatment and/or during recovery?
a. List all that apply
6. What is the typical time frame for patient full recovery OR how long following medical intervention until the patient is considered able to return to full functional abilities (or return to sport)?
a. Weeks? Months? Years? Never? Give the number range
7. What types of PT interventions are typically used to treat the condition during the:
a. acute phase
b. subacute phase
c. chronic or full function phase
8. Are there any recommended PT interventions that do not fall under the PTA’s scope of work? Or are there any recommended PT interventions that the PTA can do but only with additional training (like a continuing education training program)
a. Acupuncture/dry needling, sharp debridement, manipulation under anesthesia, grades 3+ joint mobilizations, etc.
b. Graston/IASTM, Kinesiotaping, Laser, BFR, etc.
9. Create an example daily treatment plan for the patient 3 weeks following injury/medical intervention based on information found during your research.
– SEE NEXT PAGE FOR EXAMPLE TX PLAN –
Example: Pectoralis Major Strain – 3 weeks s/p injury
Warm up – 15 mins UBE
– Seated Reverse Fly 3 x 15 reps w/ 25lb
– 3-way shoulder standing 3 x 12 reps w/ 5lb dumbbell (B)
– Rows seated on phyioball w/ black tubing 2 x 25 reps
– PNF D1 and D2 Flexion w/ green tubing 4 x 5 reps (B)
– Low, Mid, and High Pec stretches in door way 3 x 15sec each
– Seated upper trap stretch 3 x 30 sec (B)
– Pulsed US 10 mins (L) Pec Major
– Manual therapy 15 mins – STM, DTM, trigger point release, cross-friction, active release to (L) pec major, minor, subclavius, UT, and coracobrachialis
– IFC E-stim w/ cold pack (L) Shoulder 15 mins