Infant feeding practices in the United States and across the world have generated much debate. The primary topics under debate are breastfeeding versus formula feeding, as well as when and what to feed an infant. For this week’s Discussion, you will discuss these topics for the purpose of discovering the best practices to provide a growing infant the best nutrition possible.
Discuss the following:
- What are the pros and cons of breastfeeding?
- What are the pros and cons of formula feeding?
- What advice would you give to a friend expecting her first child regarding the choice of breastfeeding vs. formula feeding?
- At what age is it recommended to introduce solid food into an infant’s diet? What is the reasoning?
- What foods may not be appropriate during the first year of life? Why?