Ikerd Company is a manufacturer of personal computers. Various costs and expenses associated with its operations are as follows.
- Property taxes on the factory building.
- Production superintendents’ salaries.
- Memory boards and chips used in assembling computers.
- Depreciation on the factory equipment.
- Salaries for assembly-line quality control inspectors.
- Sales commissions paid to sell personal computers.
- Electrical components used in assembling computers.
- Wages of workers assembling personal computers.
- Soldering materials used on factory assembly lines.
- Salaries for the night security guards for the factory building.
The company intends to classify these costs and expenses into the following categories:
(a) direct materials, (b) direct labor, (c) manufacturing overhead, and (d) period costs.
List the items (1) through (10). For each item, indicate the cost category to which it belongs.