Lab Assignment 2 (Case Study 2):
(IT 52 Electricity and Electronics Class; Professor Mahalik)
Discover professional opportunities of technical, governmental and educational organizations in the domain of Electricity and Electronics
In this Lab Assignment (LA) you will discover (search/learn) about professional opportunities of technical, governmental and educational organizations in the domain of Electricity and Electronics. Today’s learning entails a better educated workforce than ever before. Along with technical knowledge, more and more background information on technical, governmental and educational organizations in the domain of Electricity and Electronics is essential. That is professionals and technologists in this new economy require more complex and interdisciplinary knowledge so as to enable them not only for networking but to keep the currency on the development rather than just doing the jobs in the workplace. Research shows that students while studying a course do have to know the type of technical, government, and educational organizations that they will be dealing with after they complete a program. While students’ clubs and organizations are important, knowledge on other important local, national, and international organizations play key role in the technology market place as well as job hunt. In this Lab Assignment you will learn about professional opportunities of technical, governmental and educational organizations in the domain of Electricity and Electronics.
In this LA you will write a report on “The Technical, Government and Educational Organizations and their Activities”. You need to search the Internet to get information for your report. You will select three organizations, one from each Group mentioned below and write about them. You have to search some authentic site in order to prepare the report. I have listed some of the important sites from where you can also get information. The report should include the following topics.
1. Introduction about the Organization
2. Organizations’ mission and goal
3. What do they do
4. Who are the members
5. What benefits they provide to the scientists, engineers, technologists, and society
6. If you would like to establish an organization in future, what would it do for the society. Write a mission of your Organization in 20-50 words. (Imagine that you would establish one organization. Note that it would be a technical organization in the domain of Electricity and Electronics)
7. Concluding remarks
The Lab Report should meet the following formatting requirements.
· Write your name in the report.
· Use MS Word
· 12 Font, Times New Roman, Single space, Single columns
· The report should be more than 1 page and no more than 3-page long (minimum 300 words).
Group 1 (Technical): Choose only one organization from below and write (minimum 100 words)
1. International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
2. National Electrical Code
3. The Association for Packaging and processing Technology (PMMI)
Group 2 (Government): Choose only one organization from below and write (minimum 100 words)
1. Occupational Safety and Health Administration
2. National Archives – Electronic Records Management Initiative (ERM)
Group 3 (Educational): Choose only one organization from below and write (minimum 100 words)
1. Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
2. American Society for Engineering Education