Discuss the hormones produced by this gland and how those hormones are used in the body
Psychology homework help
Module 2 – Case
THE PHYSIOLOGY OF STRESS
The Endocrine System and Chronic Disease
Endocrine disorders span a range of conditions, from diabetes and thyroid disease to stress-related conditions. Stress has been linked to a number of health problems with the most recent evidence, suggesting its involvement in male infertility, allergies, and headache.
During the normal stress response, hormones are secreted by the adrenal glands, causing several physiological effects, but chronic stress can result in continual release of these hormones, leading to serious mental and physical health problems.
In the following video, the role of stress on causing chronic, non-communicable diseases like heart disease (hypertension), metabolic syndrome, and infertility is discussed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqJ-AKSsuE
Physical Effects of Stress
In this assignment, you will focus on one endocrine gland, its normal function in the body, and how it responds during times of stress. You will also research one disorder related to stress.
1. Choose one of the following endocrine glands from the table below to research. Discuss the hormones produced by this gland and how those hormones are used in the body. Include an image of your chosen endocrine organ within your essay.
2. Describe what happens to the body when the hormone (or hormones) produced by this organ become unbalanced during times of stress. What happens to the gland when the body is under acute stress? Chronic stress?
3. Describe one of the stress-related disorders associated with your chosen endocrine gland (see chart below or choose one of your own. Be sure it is associated with stress).
4. How does your chosen stress-related disorder affect short- and long-term health?
5. What can be done to prevent and/or treat your chosen stress-related disorder?
6. Draw conclusions about how to care for and maintain a healthy Endocrine System.
Organize this essay assignment using subtitles that summarize the topic from each question above. For example, to answer Question 1, use a descriptive subtitle like the following: Introduction to the Pancreas.
Answer each question under the subtitle using complete sentences that relate back to the question. Be sure to use APA formatting throughout your essay with 1-inch margins, 12-pt font, and double spacing throughout. Include a title page, introduction, answers to the questions with subtitles, and concluding paragraph. Remember to include in-text citations within the body of the essay referencing your resources (i.e., Murray, 2014). Also, be sure to include a reference section at the end of your assignment listing all required readings and any additional resources you used to complete your essay. A helpful guide to writing a quality essay can be found on your TLC Home Page under FAQ/Writing Tips/Student Guide to Writing a High Quality Academic Paper . This guide also provides links to example essays written using APA format.